College ValuesNews & Announcements Educational ExcellenceCampus & FacilitiesSenior Leadership TeamCollege CorporationStaff Vacancies
*Please note that this course is available from September 2024*
No prior teaching experience is needed.
• UK degree (normally 2:2 or above) or equivalent related to your specialist area
In addition you must also:
• Provide Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check and health clearances
• Provide two satisfactory references
• Complete a satisfactory interview .You’ll normally be offered a place on the Professional Graduate Certificate in Education or you may be considered for a place on the Postgraduate Certificate in Education.
If your first language is not English, you will need to meet the minimum requirements of an English Language qualification. The minimum for IELTS is 6.0 overall with no element lower than 5.5, or equivalent will be considered acceptable.
We seek and encourage applications from under-represented groups in order to widen participation, improve access and apply the principles of equal opportunities. Applicants with disabilities are under no obligation to declare their disabilities, but we are committed to making the adjustments necessary to promote equality and access for disabled applicants. Applicants are encouraged to identify any special arrangements they may require.
If you’re looking to progress into a career teaching in the Lifelong Learning Sector, including sixth form and further education colleges, adult education and a wide range of other training and educational settings, then this course could be ideal for you. We welcome applicants with relevant academic qualifications and a passion for teaching and training others.
Please note: This course accreditation is awarded by the University of Huddersfield and we are part of The Education and Training Consortium. The course will be available from September 2024.
• Upon successful completion of this course, you’ll be eligible to proceed, following a process of professional formation through the Society for Education and Training to gain Qualified Teacher Learning and Skills (QTLS) status. This is the full professional status for teachers in the Lifelong Learning Sector.
• On this course you’ll have the opportunity to develop the skills to play a full part in teaching and curriculum development. While you study, you’ll focus on your subject specialist area, alongside general teaching in the lifelong learning sector.
• A significant amount of your learning takes place whilst on placement at Wyke College. You’ll have the opportunity to benefit from being able to observe experienced teachers, gain practical hands-on experience and to be mentored to help you develop into a successful and effective teacher.
• We are a large college whose students achieve excellent results on a wide variety of A level and vocational courses.
• You’ll be taught by outstanding teachers in a vibrant atmosphere, with fantastic students. You’ll also have access to University of Huddersfield’s extensive professional and academic network, and to excellent facilities and specialist equipment.
Please note: * This course is accredited by University of Huddersfield (taught jointly with students on the PGCE qualification), available through the Education and Training Consortium if they choose to.
To help prepare yourself for this course, we recommend that you visit our PGCE Information Evening where you can speak to course leaders and current PGCE students.
Wyke Sixth Form College hold train to teach information events which offer you a great insight into this course. If you are interested in attending one of these events, please complete this form and we will be in contact with the key information.
Please note that the applications for this course can be submitted by following the ‘Apply Now’ button on this page. Applications are made through the University of Huddersfield rather than Wyke Sixth Form College. We look forward to meeting with you.
Gaining a PGCE qualification is an ideal choice if you are wanting to progress into a professional teaching role. The qualification can also be a stepping stone to opening the doors to leadership and management roles within the education sector.
As part of this course, you will have the opportunity to observe and shadow expert teachers from around the college from different subjects and vocational areas and take part in our expert teacher training days.
Towards the end of your course, you will also have the opportunity to attend a subject specialist conference at The University of Huddersfield where you will engage with other trainees in your subject and share knowledge and ideas.