In Partnership with:

Develop analytical thinking and problem solving skills

Course Information

Computer Science

A Level
Apply Online
In Partnership with:

Develop analytical thinking and problem solving skills

80
%
Exams
%
Coursework
20
%
Other
Exam Board
OCR
Entry Requirements
A Level Computer Science requires you to achieve at least the minimum entry requirements for your chosen pathway plus a grade 6 or higher in GCSE Maths.

A Level Computer Science requires you to achieve at least the minimum entry requirements for your chosen pathway plus a grade 6 or higher in GCSE Maths. The minimum entry requirements will be discussed at open events and at your college interview.

Computer Science

Computer Science is an exciting and fast-moving field that brings together disciplines including IT, mathematics, engineering and physics.

Computer technologies are integral to modern life, so you are very likely to find your computer science skills in high demand across many different industries. These include schools and universities, IT firms, multinational companies, public sector organisations, cyber security, games development and more.

If you have a strong interest in IT, Computing, and Computer Science and would like to progress onto a career within this sector, this course is ideal for you.

Course Structure

The majority of the Computer Science lessons will take place in our dedicated computer rooms. A small minority of lessons which are more theory based will take place in classrooms. Lessons will include a variety of individual and group work. This course will be assessed through 80% external exams and the other 20% will be assessed on a non-examination project.

Support outside lessons is available, both informally and formally and all of the staff in the department are available to support you on a lunchtime

MODULES INCLUDE

• The characteristics of contemporary processors, input, output and storage devices

• Software and software development

• Exchanging data

• Data types, data structures and algorithms

• Legal, moral, cultural and ethical issues

• Elements of computational thinking

• Problem solving and programming

• Algorithms to solve problems and standard algorithms

preparation for the course

To prepare for this course, we advise you to investigate the languages JavaScript, SQL and HTML and try to learn some basic skills using these. It is also recommended that you come along to one of our open events and speak with our specialist teachers to gain a further insight into this course.

There will also be an opportunity for you to attend taster sessions at our Wyke Start event in July. A Level Computer Science teachers will also set you some summer work following this event to help you prepare for the first few weeks on the course.

What are the
Next Steps?

This course is ideal for students that are planning on going to university to study a computing related course and who want a career in computing. This qualification can also provide a strong base for progression to higher apprenticeships or work. Examples of careers A Level Computer Science can open the doors to include: Application analyst Cyber security analyst Data analyst Database administrator Forensic computer analyst Game designer Games developer Information systems manager IT consultant Software engineer Systems analyst Web designer Web developer Network engineer Teaching Lecturing

Ready to
Get Started?
Apply Online
Course Overview
Case Study: 

Rian Patel former Hull Trinity House Academy student

Want to know more?
Watch the video
summer work

At Wyke Start, our 2-day taster event in July, each of your subjects will set you some work to complete to help prepare you for the course. The work for this course will be available on this page to complete following this event.

The Wyke Experience

The Computer Science department will offer you a number of enrichment activities, these include:

·         Visiting speakers from both industry and universities.

·         University visits to look at different fields of computing

·         Visits to industry

View All